An interesting idea is that if you hate something you should create a platform that makes it easier to create more of that thing.
For example if you hate video games, create a platform that makes it easier to create games. This will drive an influx of market participants and make it less desirable to be the industry as is. Forcing innovation and change.
Services that try on n squared network effects are somewhat impervious to this strategy (but not entirely).
So now indie game development is basically a hobby and not a business. To make money in it, you have to do something great. Great story telling (double fine/monument valley). Make the game actually provide real life utility (fold at home). Businessmen can’t just show up anymore they have to do awesome stuff.
Industries where this is happening:
- Pornography -Playboy
- Apparel Design –
- Drop shipping e commerce – Amazon
- Modeling – Instagram
- Photography – Instagram
- Most art – Instagram
- TV shows – Wattpad
- Books via blog – Medium/Wattpad
- Journalism – Twitter/WordPress
- Free to play games – unity and Swift
- Vitamins – design your custom pill
- Dogs – see golden doodle
Where it could apply
- Restaurants (commissary kitchen) and food truck
- Regulated software spaces (information interchanges and open data backbones)
- Community design
- Things made from specialty components that can now use COTS components
- Plant varietals